Saturday 2 February 2013

Batik





My batik basically shows a crane resting on a pond with lotus flowers floating around.  As we all know, batik is one of the popular Malay cultures, with beautiful artwork painted in a sheet of silk. It contains a very strong Malay culture with its used of darker tone of colours and floral designs. But, living in a country with many races practicing different cultures, I wanted to try and mix those cultures together. So, to start it off, I have decided to begin with something I am more familiar with first, which is the Chinese culture. By fusing these two cultures together in one artwork, we can also practice the 1 Malaysia concept that the government has been promoting so actively. As a designer, we are always taught to have a meaning, a direction in our own work. So, to explain why I chooses crane as my focus point in my batik is because crane is a symbolization of happiness and also good fortune in Chinese tradition. The lotus flowers also symbolize a form of life and the water or pond is a sense of calm. As the reason why I chooses all these elements in my batik is because I want to instill a positive energy into the people who came across my batik. I want them to have a sense of calmness, to let their mind ease up and relax after a hectic day in work. I believed that many people are way too stressful living in the city, rushing with their daily work routine and doesn’t have any time for them selves. They should always find some time to loosen up and relax a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment